Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > Reviews > Top Tens

Old 4th Oct 2004, 17:48   #1
Digger
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

Send a message via MSN to Digger
Default Ten favourite things about autumn

1. Crisp misty moisty mornings where you can see your breath and your cheeks get rosy and the sun is like pale gold.

2. Spider webs bejewelled with dew on said mornings.

3. Stacking the winter's supply of logs at my parents house in the knowledge that it means cozy evenings and afternoons with books, crumpets, and other such yummyness in the near future.

4. The subtlety of autumn colours, although they are not the technicolour of New England, who couldn't like the softness of England's browns, greens and coppers and russety golds?

5. Swishing and kicking through said leaves, once fallen in big drifts - espescially beech leaves which have the most satisfying sound.

6. Windy days - that whip my already somewhat Big hair into a crazed tearaway heap that eats hair brushes. Also kite flying.

7. Rainy blustery days, and specifically watching other people struggle with umbrellas with great amusement from my enlightened position of not owning one of the demonic devices (see top ten driving iritants comments - don't know how to do the clever 'here' thing!).

8. The travelling fun-fairs that come to this part of the world at this time of year with the raucous noise of awful amplified pop not quite overridding the romance of the carousel with its gilt horses and unicorns; the smell of candy-floss and the magic that brings them and vanishes them over night. The big ferris wheel at St Giles fair in Oxford is amazing - criminally absent from this year's fair.

9. Wooly jumpers, scarfs, hats, slippers, blankets and other warm things derived from sheep.

10. Pumpkin pie.
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Oct 2004, 17:49   #2
Digger
Senior Palimpsester

oooo that was my 50th post - hooray!
Old 4th Oct 2004, 22:03   #3
NottyImp
the aging anarchist
could do better

A very nice list indeed. Autumn is my favourite season, especially when you get those clear, sunny crisp days that are perfect for walking.
Old 5th Oct 2004, 0:50   #4
rick green
Palimpsestarian
could do better

And here are some of the lovely Autumn things in rural Florida:

1. Only one month left of Hurricane season.

2. Temperatures mostly in the high eighties instead of high nineties.

3. Mornings (and evenings, and middays) redolent with the singular aroma of the neighbors' burning garbage.

4. Lovely autumnal foliage--if you like green.

5. The misty, moisty feeling in the air... that translates instantly into streaming sweat at the mildest exertion.
Old 5th Oct 2004, 8:36   #5
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

Digger wrote:
Quote:
9. Wooly jumpers, scarfs, hats, slippers, blankets and other warm things derived from sheep.
1. Wore my favourite scarf for the first time last night...

2. The chimney sweep coming (last Wed). The childish excitement of watching him tape up the fireplace and later untape it to reveal a huge pile of soot. (No, I didn't run out to see the brush come out of the chimney... :D )

3. The knowledge that your coal bunker is full and your log pile is piled, and that the first fire of the autumn is on its way.

4. Foggy, misty mornings and crunchy beech-shells underfoot on the way to school.

5. Conkers

6. An overwhelming nostalgia for warm school classrooms and all the autumn projects you did - pompom hedgehogs, drawings of squirrels, leaf prints etc.

7. This Manley Hopkins poem

Margaret, áre you gr*eving
Over Goldengrove unleaving?
Leáves, l*ke the things of man, you
With your fresh thoughts care for, can you?
Áh! ás the heart grows older
It will come to such sights colder
By and by, nor spare a sigh
Though worlds of wanwood leafmeal lie;
And yet you w*ll weep and know why.
Now no matter, child, the name:
Sórrow's spr*ngs áre the same.
Nor mouth had, no nor mind, expressed
What heart heard of, ghost guessed:
It *s the blight man was born for,
It is Margaret you mourn for.

8. Knowing I don't have to do any gardening for another six months (at least...)

9. Half-term Oct. holiday walking in the Dales, in the rain in cosy walking boots, and hot chocolate in tea shops.

10. The return of Basil Brush and Dr. Who on TV...oops, where were we? 2004 - yes, Basil Brush and Spooks on TV.
Colyngbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Oct 2004, 10:09   #6
Wavid
Administrator
befriends strangers

Send a message via AIM to Wavid Send a message via MSN to Wavid Send a message via Yahoo to Wavid Send a message via Skype™ to Wavid

Yes, I love autumn too, and especially October, so I am dead chuffed at the moment.

There is something about it which reminds me of school - especially the bright, chilly mornings.

Cold weather is vastly preferable to warm, as long as the sun is still shining. I like wearing jumpers, and especially coats, so chillyness is great as far as I am concerned.

I second Col's conkers!

And Rick, there's no way you are going to get any of us Brits to feel sorry for you over there!
Wavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Oct 2004, 10:17   #7
Digger
Senior Palimpsester

I don't know how I missed conkers, at present I have a small heap of them on my office desk a small heap next to my bed, a selection sitting in the kitchen, several in my coat pockets, the bottom of my rucksack and indeed everywhere else. It's an instant magpie impulse to pick them up wherever I see them.

My work department is organising interdepartmental conker championships - we will not be wearing safety goggles!
Old 5th Oct 2004, 10:25   #8
gil
Senior Palimpsester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger
It's an instant magpie impulse to pick them (conkers) up wherever I see them.!
How soon can you get round to my place?

Around this time of year, a cubic yard of conkers per week falls on the lawn, the drive, the garage, passers-by, the car, any visiting dog.

They closely follow the sacks of beech nuts and sweet chestnuts (which are mostly too small to be worth roasting) and precede the vast stacks of fallen leaves. Believe me, I love trees, and we have about four acres of them, but Autumn....
gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Oct 2004, 10:25   #9
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavid
I second Col's conkers!
I'm sure that's a sentiment we all echo.
Old 5th Oct 2004, 10:49   #10
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

Quote:
Originally Posted by amner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavid
I second Col's conkers!
I'm sure that's a sentiment we all echo.
Thank you for your echoing, seconding, sentiments!

It's my favourite season by miles, and yes, October is the best month (it has my birthday in it, so naturally... :D )
Colyngbourne is offline   Reply With Quote